This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosure for more information.
A flavorful salad featuring spiced cauliflower, salad greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cheese, and a simple dressing of olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.
Cauliflower is light, alkalizing, and drying. Many people know it as a supportive low-carb vegetable.
Cauliflower can be difficult for some people to digest (especially Vata dosha), and the addition of spices in this recipe remedies this, and brings plenty of flavor to the salad.
Coriander powder has a warm, spicy, and nutty flavor. It is mostly sweet, but also pungent and bitter. It is a digestive aid, and slightly diuretic. It is very supporting for detoxing and cleansing the blood.
Coriander is the perfect spice for spring when we tend to retain water weight.
Cinnamon is warming and supports circulation. It is anti-inflammatory, and also a digestive. Cinnamon helps to regulate blood sugar and supports fat metabolism, and that’s why it’s the perfect addition to rich, sugary desserts.
Once you have your cauliflower cooked, this salad comes together quickly with the addition of familiar ingredients: salad greens, cucumber, tomato, feta cheese, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.
You’ll love this. See the notes for serving, and meal ideas.
Recipe for Mediterranean Cauliflower & Greens Salad
for the cauliflower
- 3 cups cauliflower sliced into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (sub with 1/2 teaspoon turmeric)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
for the salad
- 4 cups mixed salad greens loosely packed
- 1/2 cup cucumber chopped
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 1/3 cup feta cheese crumbled
- drizzle extra virgin olive oil to taste
- drizzle balsamic vinegar to taste
- sprinkle salt and black pepper
- Wash cauliflower, and slice into 1/2-inch slabs (flat pieces).
- Measure out the required coriander, cinnamon, and black pepper in a small dish. Keep cauliflower and spice mix ready by the stove.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium heat, and add olive oil. Add powdered spices and stir for no more than 30 seconds to release the flavor and aroma into the fat.
- Add prepared cauliflower and salt. Toss (or stir) to evenly coat with spices, then arrange the cauliflower in an even layer on the skillet. Add 1 tablespoon water, cover, and leave it to cook for 5-10 minutes, until the cauliflower starts to soften, and the first side starts to brown underneath.
- Turn each piece of cauliflower individually using a fork or a spatula (or both). Cook until the the second side is nicely browned. If the skillet dries out and things starts to get too dark, add a little more water. Cover if needed to soften the cauliflower further. Once the cauliflower is cooked, allow the water to evaporate and continue cooking until lightly browned. Turn off the heat when the cauliflower is fully cooked. Watch closely throughout the process.
- Meanwhile, place washed salad greens in a serving bowl. Chop cucumbers and tomatoes and arrange over the top. Crumble on the feta cheese, then drizzle the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Sprinkle with a bit more salt and pepper, then top with the slightly cooled spiced cauliflower.